Churches, Schools, Sports are they ready to reopen? as Bars wait longer: Churches, Schools, Sports are they ready to reopen? as Bars wait longer:
President Museveni has directed the reopening of schools by 15th Oct. Since March schools, churches, sports events were ordered to close to avoid the spread of deadly corona virus.
However, on Sunday, after a period of over six months the president noted that schools are to open to allow finalists complete school.
“We have decided to reopen schools for candidate classes including P.7, S.4 and S.6! plus finalists in tertiary institutions like colleges and universities,” Museveni says.
Museveni notes that experts think it is safe for finalists to resume studies. Because they are only 1.5million which is 10% of the total number of 15million leaners in Uganda.
“Each group will have bigger space for social distancing. If they follow Standard Operating Procedures, they will be safe. The cost of waiting any further is very high because of the jam of transition.”
“If the batch of 2020 don’t move on, what will happen to batch of 2021? We can’t afford to have both in 2021. It can be done safely if people follow SOPs.”
Churches, Schools, Sports are they ready to reopen? as Bars wait longer
Museveni however noted that non-finalists can only be thought of in January.
However, on the issue of private schools, the president noted that these can be assisted by getting loans from Uganda Development Bank. While private teachers can make use of the Shs. 20billion put in their Sacco.
Since Ugandans have tested both scenarios of no deaths because of the lockdown and one of laxity and death! they should be careful with their lives, Museveni says.
“Our scientists are sure if people strictly adhere to guidelines, they will be safe. Many people moved on by listening to advise of false prophets that the virus was not there. In this case, by sowing negligence and disobedience we are reaping more sickness and deaths,” he says.
“We should put emphasis on observation of SOPs. Provided SOPs are strictly followed at a personal and group level, the virus can be contained.”
Uganda has recorded 6287 cases and only 63 deaths since the first case of Coronavirus was recorded in March.
Summary of Museveni address
1.Schools to reopen on October 15th for candidate classes of P-7, S-4, S-6! and finalists in tertiary colleges and finalists in universities.
2.International Airport and land borders opened for tourists and Ugandans they tested negative 72 hours before arrival in Uganda
- Restrictions on movements on border districts are lifted.
- Curfew, from 9pm to 6am still on but boda bodas stop at 6pm
- Places of worship opened but under strict SOPs; night prayers, transnights, Sunday schools not allowed.
- Open air activities of sports will re-open with no spectators
- Casinos, gaming centres and cinemas remain closed.
- Bars shall remain closed.
- Hotels will continue operating following the SOPs agreed with the Ministry of Health.
- Restaurants should continue to emphasize the takeaways. Indoor restaurant services should be minimized and follow the SOPs.
- Mobile Markets, monthly cattle auction and produce markets, should remain closed as the Ministry of Health continues to develop SOPs.
- Mass gatherings are still prohibited.